Our OUTReels is our diversity education program. We bring an LGBT film to your community and facilitate a screening and discussion around an topic of your choosing.
OUTReels is an entirely FREE program for non-profit or charitable organizations, thanks to a generous donation from the RBC Foundation!
We have selected films and topics to inspire conversation, including: Transgender & Intersex Education, LGBT Athletes, Queer History, Bullying (School & Workplace), Healthy Relationships (Dating & Family), Homosexuality & Faith. We bring a film and facilitator to you that will stimulate, inspire, and foster compassion through understanding.
What does OUTReels do?
We will bring LGBTQ films to your group / organization / classroom to stimulate discussion around queer issues.
- We can help to identify the LGBT educational issues that your community/classroom will benefit from.
- We will recommend a film that stimulates discussion on that issue.
- We will provide the film, and all necessary equipment for the screening as needed based on your venue.
- We will work with you to program a post film discussion either with a guest speaker or a discussion facilitator if needed. Our goal is to ensure your learning objectives are achieved during the screening and subsequent discussion.
Screenings have included high school classes, university student groups, church groups, seniors centres, and public events like: Miscellaneous Youth Group, Queers on Campus, Alliance to End Violence, Calgary Public Library (Fish Creek, Central and Louise Riley branches), Hillhurst United Church, and St. Stephen’s Anglican Church. OUTReels features films that generate conversations on topics like bullying, the intersection between religion and sexuality, queer history, and the global struggle for human rights worldwide.
What Can You Do?
- Discuss your goals with our staff to determine the best film and topic for the event
- Provide the venue for the screening and equipment if possible (We are able to provide screening equipment if needed.)
- Publicize the event, ensuring your group/organization knows about the screening.
- Liaise with our Fairy staff on all other components of the screening.
We book OUTReels screenings June – March annually, with a variety of daytime, evening, and weekend events. We often fill up quickly! For information about our films, and about hosting a screening, please contact James Demers at firstname.lastname@example.org.
OUTReels is proudly provided free of charge to non-profit and charitable organizations thanks to the generous support of: